Sweet Pea is 37 months old.
From: I found this quick activity on Counting Coconuts.
- Clean plastic container with a tight fitting lid. (I used an old Gerber Puffs container.)
- Box cutter or knife.
- Poker chips or fake coins.
- Bowl or basket to hold the poker chips.
- Carefully cut a slit in the top of the plastic lid. Test to make sure that your poker chips will fit through the hole.
- Collect your materials and your tot.
- Show your tot how to push a poker chip through the slit in the lid.
- Let your tot try on their own.
Observations: I had assumed that Sweet Pea was a little too old for this activity, but it was really quick so I thought we would give it a try. I was surprised by how much she really seemed to enjoy it. Sweet Pea pushed all the chips in, removed the lid and dumped them out and then did it again at least 3 times.
Notes from the Trenches: The only thing that worried me was that the poker chip container said, “Not for children under the age of 5.” Usually the warnings are for children under the age of 3. I assume the poker chips might be a spectacular choking hazard or something so I made sure to watch Sweet Pea very closely while she was using them.
Rating: 4 Stars * (Fun, Easy, Independent, Frugal)